Friday 2 January 2015

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year! 2015 is set to be a good one. 

Well, it's been a while. To be quite honest, I've not had anything to blog about. I'm just not very interesting. After booking up all our tickets and planes and hotels etc., days, weeks, months passed without much travel news, but this is a new year! This is the year! 

Tomorrow, I hand my notice in at work. It's an extended notice, so my last working day is the end of February. I do love my job; I love the team, I love the product and I love that it's just challenging enough to keep me on my toes. But Christmas in retail is really shit. I don't mean it in a whiney 'Ooh I've got to work Boxing Day, woe is me' kind of way, there are many more people that have to work tougher, longer hours than I did (although I did like 60 hours a week. People doing more hours than that, I totally salute you). But generally those people are nurses, firefighters, police etc - they're doing something good in the world. Whatever job I have at Christmas next year, I'm hoping it's something that has a purpose in the world - I don't ever want to have to deal with irate, demanding people that, for some bizarre reason, have chosen to battle other mental people for sale items they could have bought two weeks prior, instead of sitting at home with their families, scoffing turkey sandwiches and watching films. People are so aggy too! It's not my fault your sniffly kids are tired from running riot since 7am this morning and are now complaining and crying whilst you try on shoes. I hate it when people are waiting to pay and they're like 'Oh, my child is getting restless, can we hurry it up?'. Are you fucking kidding me? You just spent 20 minutes trying to decide if you like a £19 sale shoe, another 10 minutes trying to get a discount because it's 'marked' and now you want me, me??, to hurry up? Lady, I wanted you out of my store 15 minutes ago.

Eesh, got a bit carried away there.

On the rare days I've not been working, I found myself spending it with animals; with Cleo, my loan horse, at the kennels with my Mum, or taking rescue dogs for a walk. Take a look at these beauties:

I absolutely 100% fell in love with these two, Kaiser and his sister Kira. They've moved to a re-homing centre in Scotland, and I oh-so hope they've found a forever home; they have so much love to give, and yet they didn't have a great start in life. They were pretty malnourished when they turned up in the kennels, and Kira had such a nervous disposition, it's possible they wasn't treated very well. Oh, I miss them!
But after spending all my free time with animals, I started thinking - maybe this is my calling? It's the one thing I genuinely enjoy, and no matter how shit the task at hand is, I still find it rewarding, I still feel like I'm doing some good. So I started looking into it some more - and now I'm signed up to a home college course! Zoo animal care, behaviour and welfare. I chose zoo animals because it offers so much more in terms of options, but this is the path I want to take when looking for a new career in Australia. If I'm making this big a change in lifestyle, then there's no reason why I shouldn't attempt a job in something I love.

Part of the course is getting some work experience in a zoo for a week - I'm wetting my pants in excitement! I'm halfway through the modules, trying to power through to make sure I finish them before March.

March is our organising month. Well, my organising month. Nick is amazing at geography but I'm the logistics. I want to get us together a file each, with credit history, no claims proof, references, copies of passports, CV's, tickets etc. Need to get our shit into gear.

I've got high levels of excitement for this year; it started off amazingly and there's so much we have planned - there's probably going to be so many unplanned things too. For New Year's we took an impromptu trip to Weymouth. If you've not been, you need to get your butt down there for a new year - it's brilliant! The town itself is so pretty, a lovely harbour and a beautiful beach, but for NYE the whole town - and I mean the whole town - dresses in fancy dress and congregates in the town square to count down into midnight. All the pubs have a party going on and you're free to wander from one to the other. We literally packed up the car and camped in the car park for the night, getting up in the morning and exploring around the fort, dodging the masses of dog walkers. 
For those that are wondering, because we decided about 5 hours prior to going, we dressed in onesies; I was a ninja turtle, Nick was a turkey. He was a pretty good turkey;


New Years Day started with an adventure too - start as you mean to go on, eh? We drove to Lyme Regis for breakfast and to watch the 'Lyme Lunge' - a charity event where nearly 300 people ran into the sea in fancy dress to raise money for Help For Heroes. Good on them, nutty bunch.



We then ventured to Durdle's Door, the weird rock thing on the southern coast. I know there is more to marvel at, but I can't explain to you how blue the water was, especially for England. The picture doesn't do it any justice at all, it was like tropical waters. But the whole place was absolutely beautiful. A definite recommendation, if you're fitter than we are and are able to walk up a hill without nearly keeling over.




So there we go - a quick update on life and our current adventures. There won't be so much white noise from me over the next couple of months - loads of updates and adventures coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment