Friday 21 February 2014

Conference Revelations

One of the issues about leaving the country, for good, is that I actually have quite a good job that I genuinely enjoy.

Whilst Nick has a job that he worked his butt off (sometimes for free) to get to, I don't think it's fully satisfying for him. He often comes home tired, grumpy, moaning about some person or some thing that continually pisses him off. Admittedly, some of them to me seem petty, or funny - the one that really gets me is the accountant who washed his Mac keyboard in the sink. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we have reached a new level of stupid here. His bonus scheme stinks, too. However, I do remember being in a job I hated and all those niggly things just build up and up until they just eat away at you. So I think, for him, Australia is a fantastic alternative to job searching over here. At least he has a trade that's in demand and fairly well paid.

Now I don't mean to brag, but I've always been the highest earning one in our relationship and that's a status I'm a little wary of losing. No, wait, let me rephrase that - I'm wary of being paid less than Nick; I'm more than fine with being on par. I don't mean this in a competitive, belittling, or feminist way at all, it's just I've always been so independent with money that the thought of not having enough of my own concerns me. I don't like the fact that I may contribute less to the rent, or food or petrol, or that I might need to ask for money at some point to get me by. I know that Nick wouldn't be bothered - I know I'm not at the moment - but it would make me feel so awkward and needy. I'm sure there's some psychological explanation about fending for myself at an early age, or being management and therefore a control freak or whatever, but, y'know, I'd just like to be able to pay my way.

I was thinking about all of this at my works conference. I work in fashion retail, so we dress pretty, go up to head office, look at all the new stock, find out how the business is getting on and drink champagne. Lovely day! And it's always at the conference that I sit and think, 'Wow! There is so much growth in this company, so many opportunities, that in five years time I could be anywhere!'. Which is probably very true, and who knows? Maybe in ten years time I could be an area manager (international, of course!), with my own company credit card and shiny company car - I'd finally have an Audi! - but then again, I might not. There are some managers who have been in the company for 28 years. Woah! The thought of another 28 Christmas sales makes me want to bolt right this second.

It only takes me a few minutes of thinking to realise that my prospects for moving country far outweigh my prospects of staying. It's a whole fresh start, I could be anything I wanted! I am swaying towards conservation and working with animals - 'You can do that in England!' I hear you say. Well, yes, I could. But I'd be giving up a decent job to go and volunteer to scoop poo in a country that is almost constantly cold, without any qualifications to bump me up the ladder. I know I'd be in the same position in Oz, just a whole lot warmer, but that wouldn't matter, because we're going there to travel, and explore, and do new things.

The point is that, yes, I would miss my job and I'd miss being in a form of employment that I know and am good at. But what if I'm even better at feeding koala bears?

This day next year... we'll be getting our jabs sorted. Ouch!

1 comment:

  1. So, when Dune expands to Australia it would be perfect for you? And I don't doubt you'd go further in Dune, those managers with 28 years experience are probably comfortable in their role and have no desire to expand past that.

    I totally get what you mean about earning less than Nick. You don't want to have to rationalise every purchase you might want to make. There's freedom in earning enough to be comfortable. It's not about female empowerment or misogyny or anything bigger than just removing yourself from unnecessary angst. But I get where Nick's coming from too, I don't make as much with Dune as I did with McDonald's, but I'm happy and I feel well and I get so much time with Noah, and my workmates are wonderful and I have an amazing boss … money isn't everything. It just makes it easier, sometimes, to live out the dream.

    I'd be sad to see you go, but i get why you want to. It's a huge dream of mine to move to America. Maybe when my writing gets good enough to compete with JK Rowling and I've earned enough to apply for that visa (you can get one for having over $1m, because you'd be contributing regularly to the economy. Personally, with the amount of stuff I've bought from the states over the years, I think I qualify. My other way in would be to marry an American man. Putting that out there, in case you know anyone …)

    ReplyDelete