Saturday 8 March 2014

Friends

There will be many people and things I'll miss when we move, and sometimes they're almost enough to keep me here. If Skype hadn't been invented, I don't think I could manage it. For one, I would miss my friends immensely. 

Let's take Siobhan. She's so geeky, it nearly makes me cringe (in a nice way), but I love that about her. I love that she says what she wants to, and isn't scared to voice her opinion, even when it differs from everyone else's. I love that she's so persistent in everything she believes in, and I'm certain that she'll achieve everything she's set out to do. Hell, on persistence alone, I think she'd score a publishing deal before they even looked at the material. It's second nature for her to blurt out something weird and ridiculous, but it's also automatic for her to give a logical and straight solution to someone being, well, somewhat irrational. I love her for all of her quirks and for being weird.

Then we have Jody. I don't think I've ever met somebody so much like myself. She loves to have an adventure and isn't afraid of doing something new; if I phone her up and say 'Jode, I just found out there's a snowboarding place near me - let's do it?' I know that what I'm asking is actually rhetorical. What I should be asking is, 'When are you next off so we can do something cool and crazy, and probably break a limb?'. Yet on the other hand, she's more than happy to educate me with films whilst painting nails, and she's one of the few people I can shop with without getting annoyed. I love that she's a big juxtaposition in the idea of girly-ness. She lives so far away from me too; I have friends who live not even two minutes down the road that I haven't seen since Christmas, yet Jody is an 80 mile round trip and we still make that, I'd say at least once a month. Oh, and she loves books! She's a big geek too, just like me. There's a pattern here with my friends, I'm sure.

I have my Sandee too, and oh, what will I do without her? And what will she do without me? Who will she vent to about all of her issues? And who will have my back for all my little problems? She's my big sister; she's always advised me on everything, whether it be big or small, but most importantly she's stuck with me when I've ignored all of that and messed up. And there were plenty who didn't. Oh, and driving is never as fun as when Sandee's in the car. Screwdrivers is all I have to say to that.

Last, but not least, is Jess. She used to be my fellow adventurer, but she mellowed out when she met her boyfriend. It seems like they've been together forever now, so needless to say we don't adventure much anymore, but if I want an awesome night in, I know where to look. She's probably the most supportive of the bunch, probably because she knows where I'm coming from and how long I've wanted this. We had a crazy notion when we were in our teens that we'd save up a ridiculous amount of money in six months and then literally up and leave everything, including my current boyfriend at the time, our house and my fairly well paid (but shite) job, to travel Oz for three  months. Oh, man, I miss being mentally spontaneous. God help the damage I would have caused if I was rich. But Jess has shown me that you can go off the rails a little and land safe and cosy back on them again.

Then I have a bunch of other friends, that are by no means less important. Don't be offended guys, I just don't know you as well as the above, and that makes me a little sad because you're all awesome, yet I just don't have enough time. There's Lizzy, Jordan, Carrie, Tobias, Lou, Anusha... I won't have a Princess Aimee to buy me chicken bakes in Oz. Do they even have Greggs over there? ... No! I may as well un-pack my bags right now then! I'd miss all the guys from work; Tracey with her 1,000 decibel voice and Margi with her infinite wisdom; Laura with all her drama and best intentions, and Hayley and Emily who are just the sweetest. 

It sounds so sappy, but I'd keep all of these people with me. They'd be there in the little things; whenever I pick up a book, or watch something in IMAX, when I'm stuck in traffic, snorkelling over a reef, or cuddling koalas, and I'll wish that they could see it too. I'll have to take a bunch of photos.

This day next year... I'll be in my last few weeks of work and shit will be getting real!

1 comment:

  1. I would be there when you pick up a book. You'll be reading and people would be like 'is that any good?' and you'll be like 'not really, but my crazy geeky friend wrote it and she's needy' ;)

    This post has made me all squishy inside. Even if you called me weird … eh, you are what you are, right? :P

    ReplyDelete