Thursday 22 May 2014

Unsociable

I don't like people. 

Not in a every-now-and-then kind of way. Not when someone's been mean or I witness or hear something that's not very nice. I generally just find human beings irritating.

I used to describe myself as a people person. Pfft. You would think that working in retail, you know, where I have to recruit and manage people; where I have to communicate to all levels of the company as well as cater to the needs of customers non stop on a daily basis, that I'd have gotten over this. In actual fact, I think it's working in customer focused roles for so long that's made me this way - oh yeah, and being with Nick. I'm so glad I found a fellow hermit.

If you saw me at work, or how easily I make friends, you wouldn't guess that I feel this way at all. I think I hide it quite well, but sometimes I'm simply tired of talking to people, and not just strangers either, it could also be my best friends or family. Which is awful because I should be spending as much time as possible with them. I still love them all to pieces though, and I've got a lot better in this aspect.

You would see it most if you were out in a public place with me, or stuck with the same people in the same environment for a long time. When people get comfortable with you, they can get a little spiteful with words - silly digs and comments, along with a poor attitude will get you nowhere in life. 

I seem to attract strangers (I must have an approachable face! Ha!) so, for example; me, Nick, his sister and sister in law were all on a little Spanish bus the other day going into the pueblo, where the roads are really narrow and hilly. The bus driver stops on this massive steep hill (I thought we were all going to be chucked off because he couldn't go further), opens the door, and chats to his friend sitting at a cafe. We obviously found this amusing, and a woman sat in front of us turned around and said, 'You wouldn't get that in England, ay?' I think Nick's sister answered her, but all we offered was a tight lipped smile, and I shit you not, Nick actually moved closer to me in his seat. Rule number one when we travel - we don't make friends.

Nick's dad, when coming out the airport, found a friend to chat to before we even reached passport control. We had to wait for him whilst they pulled their suitcases, ambling along like they couldn't bear for their friendship to end. I don't think he takes 'Stranger Danger' seriously enough.

On the other hand though, you could probably use all the friends you can get whilst travelling. Think of all the things they could lead you to - a cheap place to stay, a party, a secret little cove on the beach, a soup kitchen when you've run out of food and money. It's definitely worth making friends, but I'm not sure I can muster the effort.

I think I'll make a promise to myself; every time we make a friend whilst travelling, I will write down the story of how we meet and why we became travel buddies. They will be very special people.

This day next year - I keep thinking that we'll be in Europe this time next year, so I think I got my last past wrong; we'll be in Oz by now! We've been looking at flights but they're not quite up for this time of year, although it looks pretty certain that it'll be cheaper to fly to Thailand first, so we might have an additional stop (and more friends) to make.

3 comments:

  1. I get like that a lot. I hate crowds. People on their own can be fine, but I can't tolerate anyone long-term.

    And one of the crappiest things about last week is I think my friend isn't talking to me, despite her being really anti-social and snarky all weekend. I was making such an effort, with everyone, and that sort of thing is a real challenge for me, so it felt real good to have it thrown in my face in the interim.

    While you're travelling though, you can be friendly with people as you work stuff out, and never have to see them again after that exchange. Sounds pretty good to me! I'm just jealous you're going travelling!

    And I'm sorry if it was my messages that annoyed you yesterday :( I didn't wanna do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, short term friendships aren't too bad, which is a plus - like you say - for travelling because you don't have to make that commitment. It's not nice to have it thrown back in your face though, when you've put all the effort in. I don't think normal people understand that though.

    It wasn't you, I promise! I will probably put up a post sooner or later about the stresses of work!

    Please keep doing the con posts! I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try and do one tomorrow. I'm probably going to edit it slightly though, because that whole thing is still ongoing :(

    I don't think it matters how high powered your job is, there's always going to be stressors, or things that you dislike about the job. It's when there's enough positives to keep going that make it good :D

    ReplyDelete