Friday 28 March 2014

Top 5 Most Influential Books

Ok, I'm not going to lie - this has nothing to do with travelling whatsoever. If that's what you're here for, look away now!

I was tagged to do this post by the lovely Zee, and I'm hoping I got the gist, in the sense that I list the top five books that inspired me to write. Here goes!

1. The Illustrated Mum, Jacqueline Wilson 

So this one is going way, way back to early childhood. I loved all of Jacqueline Wilson's stories; all of children that are having a difficult time in life, for whatever reason, but hey - it'll be ok in the end. I also loved her story Midnight about a young girl called Jasmine, who would make little tiny fairy dolls to escape the world around her. But that came later, once I'd already fallen in love with writing. There was also Tracy Beaker at the Dumping Ground, The Cat Mummy and also Double Act, along with a bunch more that I would devour again and again - but this one was my favourite. Illustrated by Dolphin, she tells the tale of her eccentric mother and fed-up sister; I loved flicking back to the front cover every time a tattoo was mentioned to see if I could spot it, or finding out the story behind each one. I was happy when Dolphin and her mum were building the bread house for the dormice and I felt scared when everything was falling apart. I loved it because it was quirky and different, and I really, really yearned for them all to slot back together and be happy. It made me want to write something different too, and to always remember what it feels like to be a child, with all the worries that seem so insignificant when you're a grown up.

2. Alice In Wonderland, Lewis Carrol

I think this book shaped my entire life! This was a book that I always tried to read cover to cover in one sitting, because I wanted to enter and exit Wonderland the way Alice did; it was no good to just pop in and out of there as you pleased! This was a wonderful escape from normal life, with a weird and magical twist at every corner; it made me want to jot down all of my dreams, because I thought that one day I'd find one that was just about strange enough to be the next Alice. I'd like to think that once I've started travelling, I'll be in my own Wonderland. I'll sure as hell have plenty of time and material to write with!

3. Before I Fall, Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall absolutely blew me away, and if it wasn't for this book, I never would have picked up more Lauren Oliver novels, which means I never would have found the next book on my list - and that had a huge impact on my writing! It starts off as your typical 'it crowd' girls being all above everyone else and thinking they can get away with doing what they like, to who they like. They're on their way home from a party, pissing about in the car, when they have a huge accident and Samantha, our narrator, dies. She wakes up again, though, and relives the entire day, including the dying part. Then, guess what? It happens again, and again, and again; it takes a few goes around for her to realise that it's not really about her, but more the effect she has on other people, and making things right. It sounds a bit weirdo-sci-fi ish and maybe a bit cliché, but the whole thing is very cleverly done and really quite emotional. This was the first book in a long time where I wasn't able to guess the ending and I wanted to be able to recreate that in my own writing.

4. Delirium, Lauren Oliver

This was the smallest picture of the original book cover that I could find, but it's ok, it's relative, because this one's a biggie! A dystopian world (my favourite!), where Love is considered a disease and a simple procedure can prevent you from becoming infected, and so preventing all the awful side effects the Delirium has to offer. It has all the typical dystopia paraphernalia - high fences, unknown wastelands, patrols, a place where crazy people that know the truth are locked up, and a messed up leader; but it was the whole disease thing that really gripped me. Lena is 'infected' before she has a chance to have the procedure and you really can't help but root for her and Alex. The ending was heartbreaking. It was this book that got me back into writing, and I should probably read it for the tenth time, so I can get my butt off of this little hiatus.

5. Dreamland, Sarah Dessen

I was given a bunch of Sarah Dessen novels for my 21st Birthday by the same person who tagged me to do this post, and to be fair, she did warn me to read this one last. I obviously ignored this, and it was one of the first few I read. I enjoyed all of Sarah's books, but this one quite literally broke my heart. So much so, I didn't want to read for a few days after out of respect for the fictional people I just cried over. Being in the main characters mind set - I've sort of been there, y'know? I know people that have been there too, and I felt literally every second of her pain. I won't tell you what happens, you have to read it for yourself, but it made me cry more than when Harry walks to his death in Deathly Hallows, or the last hundred pages of The Time Travellers Wife, or the beginning of Lovely Bones (just squeezing some more brilliant books in there). If I can portray even a sliver of that emotion in my own work, then I'd be happy.

There you go Zee! Sorry it took so long! I have no-one who I can pass this along to, so I'm going to give you a challenge right back. I want you to list the top 5 influential songs in your life. They can be for any topic, as long as they have influenced you! Get going!

No comments:

Post a Comment